Orange Marmalade Manwha/Webtoon Review

One night Jae Min is returning home when an unusual girl shocks him with a gentle bite to the neck. Ma Ri is a vampire disguising herself as a human. Even though today's vampires no longer use
humans for food they are still discriminated against. If Ma Ri's secret were to be exposed her entire vampire family could be banished again. Ma Ri has no idea a simple bite to a stranger's neck will change this life of hers forever. Jae Min will find himself wondering how he could possibly have fallen for someone so odd. Is it even possible for a vampire and a broken young man to change each other for the better? Or will Ma Ri stay the 'ice queen' forever to keep her family safe?




Orange Marmalade Reviewed by Me:

Orange Marmalade falls outside of manga as it is actually a manhwa (Korean manga) but I wanted review it and so I shall. I enjoyed the illustrations of Orange Marmalade especially since it was completely refreshing because they are all in COLOR. There are some downright beautiful scenes in Orange Marmalade, like the fountain kiss. 

The storyline itself was okay. I did appreciate the manga becoming deeper as it went on. Although
there were a few chapters where I was very, very, very, tempted to skip to near the end. Romantic manga lovers would find me a bit crazy for wanting to skip the dramatics but I'm a simple girl. Looking back I am so glad I did not give in. Orange Marmalade is a journey which needs all the events to be complete.

What I loved most about the manga was just how much it is able to touch you. There are a lot of
sensitive issues which are faced. From childhood abuse, to bullying, and painful discrimination
Orange Marmalade takes them on. One of the saddest parts was learning about Jae Min's past and just how badly it still affects him years later. And his reaction to Ma Ri's vampirism? If you get teary-eyed easily you might be crying your eyes out at what it leads Ma Ri to do.


As for the vampire element, I was really glad to see it didn't take it to a 'corny' place. Sorry but if this
came anywhere near something like Twilight I would have backed off immediately. There were times where I felt like saying, 'That's like Tru Blood!' but mostly I found the vampire element extremely well done. Orange Marmalade is about vampires but the elements of friendship, romance, and drama make it more than just another vampire tale.

To the Reader:
Orange Marmalade is no action manga or tale of horror. This one is all for those who like the dramatic, school life, and romantic genre. If you have an issue with one of those types you might want to check out another one of my manga choices. I will say at least admire the colors of Orange Marmalade. I love manga regardless of color but it was nice to experience one colorful all the way from start to finish.

Details: 
Name(s): Orange Marmalade; 오렌지 마말레이드, 橘皮馬末蘭果醬
Author: Seok Woo
Illustrator: Seok Woo
Genres: Drama, Romance, Slice of Life, School Life, Fantasy, Supernatural, Webtoon, Comedy
Year:2011
Status: Complete
Anime: No but it is a webtoon